With more than 30 active and dormant volcanoes, the Danakil Depression is a geological marvel. This remote area in Northern Ethiopia features extraordinary geological formations. In contrast to the cool, temperate Ethiopian highlands, the Danakil is one of the lowest, driest, and the hottest place on earth. Please note that we do allow children under the age of 16 on our tours to the Danakil.
- Erta Alle: A volcanic lake of molten lava.
- Lake Asale: Watch the salt workers as they cut bricks of salt from the lake bed and load them on camel caravans.
- Camel Caravans: Afar people still lead camel caravans to markets around East Africa.
- 6 Days/5 Nights DD05
- This tour includes two hotel nights in Mekele and three nights camping in the Danakil. This tour can easily be added to an Omo Valley Tour. Two domestic flights.
The tours below include the Danakil Depression in addition to other sites in Ethiopia:
- 15 Days/14 Nights DH14
- This tour includes all the major sites of the North: Bahar Dar, Gondar, Axum, Lalibela, Tigray rock churches, and the Simien Mountains National Park. Three nights camping in the Danakil are also included. Two domestic flights.
- 27 Days/27 Nights CO27
- This tour visits all the main highlights of Northern Ethiopia, the Omo Valley, the Danakil Depression, and Harar with excursions to Awash National Park and the Simien and Bale Mountains. Two domestic flights.
Select a tour from the below list to view the itinerary:
When to Visit:
October to April is the best time to visit the Afar region. Because of the heat, we do not offer tours to Afar from May through mid-September.